| Me and Jon at Barbacoa for my birthday |
While Jon works hard at being amazing, I work not quite-so-hard at my insurance job, though work is picking up these past few weeks. I actually worked 7 hours straight the other day and thought I was going to die! I know I'm spoiled, but I treasure the lifestyle I've created for myself over the past few years. I sleep in, work out semi-regularly, go on walks with friends, go out to lunch with other (or the same) friends, put lots of effort into my calling (I love those Beehives of mine!), keep the household more-or-less running smoothly and do the occasional project, be it painting, sewing, crocheting, or gardening. Last week I painted our front bedroom blue, finally taking care of the glaring green that we've hated since we moved in. You might ask, "Didn't you pick that color since you built your home?" The answer is yes, but we chose it at 2 in the morning and it turned out tons brighter than we expected or wanted. Therefore, I painted the room a beautiful and more serene blue, and we converted the room from "junk room" to a home office for Jon. Don't ask me why we didn't make the room his office earlier, but it became a necessity after he moved into his model home. Saturdays are Jon's most productive days for playing catch-up on his administrative and design tasks, but now that his office is also a model home, Saturdays are a day for heavy foot-traffic and sales if he tries to work there. So we set up a desk and monitor, took care of the terrible color, and viola! Home office! I decided painting a room is like exercising - it's terrible and such hard work while you're doing it, but all the pain (and paint in the hair) is worth the end result. Just don't ask me to pick up a paintbrush anytime soon!
As you can see and as Jon pointed out to me a few weeks ago, I really do lead quite a charmed life. Though there is the sometimes gaping hole in it called motherhood, I count my blessings daily and strive to have faith that we'll be blessed in the Lord's time and in the Lord's way. On Easter I gave a lesson to all of the Young Women in my ward, and I felt impressed to focus my thoughts around the word "nevertheless." It was such a neat experience to receive inspiration for my topic, and though it was a strong prompting, it was only one word, and the Lord left it to me to turn it into a 40 minute lesson. It was a testament to me that Heavenly Father works with the talents we have to bless the lives of others, and in this case it was my love for and training in the English language. I gave a brief explanation about what the word "nevertheless" means (a transition word linking one statement with a surprising or unexpected conclusion), and then we looked up scriptures that used the word. Did you know that, according to my research on lds.org, the word "nevertheless" appears something like 247 times? And over half of those in the Book of Mormon? While not all of the instances are used according the definition I gave, there are examples like when Nephi didn't know what to do about the Laban situation and he says "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth..." Don't you love that? He had no clue, but still he says "Nevertheless I went forth." This was just one example of many that I pulled from the scriptures for the girls to look up in pairs, and then we ended with Luke 22:41-42 and D&C 19:16-19, scriptures in which the Savior resolutely says "nevertheless" despite the pains he had to suffer in Gethsemane. In my lesson we discussed how this nevertheless was the most important "nevertheless" in all of scripture, in all of history, because without it we would all be lost. If Christ had not said "nevertheless," it would mean that he had given up, that he decided to refuse to take the bitter cup and drink. After discussing the atonement and playing the song "Oh Lord, My Redeemer," I tied is all together with this statement (the concept for which Jon helped me solidify at midnight the night before - I'm so grateful for his wisdom): "Because Jesus Christ uttered the most important "nevertheless," we also have the choice to proclaim "nevertheless," turning our most bitter moments of sin and sorrow into declarations of hope, faith and solace." I handed out paper for them to take home and write their own nevertheless statements: including their trial/sin, the word "nevertheless" and then their declaration of faith. I wrote mine on the board for them, bearing my testimony that because of Christ's atonement I can be comforted through my trial of infertility, that Christ will bear me up and make my burdens light if I take my yoke upon him. All in all, this Easter lesson was an incredible spiritual experience, mostly in preparation but also in its delivery. I learned a lot about myself and about my relationship with Jesus Christ, and reaffirmed my testimony in Him.
I think I'll end on that note, leaving you with a post-Easter message of faith and hope. Love you all!
Wow. So much to comment on in this post. First, congrats to Jon and YOU for having a thriving business! That is amazing!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, wow, you DO lived a charmed life! I can't imagine how nice it would be to be YOU! I don't want to say I am envious, but maybe I am just a little bit (okay A LOT).
Thirdly, your lesson was AMAZING! I wish I could have been there for it but I glad you shared it on your blog, so I could get the gist, and perhaps steal is for one of my lessons. I am sorry you are experiencing the trial of infertility, but it seems you are growing in amazing ways and now you will be able to relate to all the women who struggle with this. Two of my friends here in NYC are going through the same thing and my heart goes out you.
Much love!
Thanks for the update and your faith promoting message. You are a great example of patience and waiting on the Lord. We'll be praying for you. Love you!
ReplyDelete